Sunday, January 4, 2009

Thanks, I know.


So i am still terribly bored at work.

Not only am i sick, but i am at a loss for what to do with myself. I have a pretty good feeling that this will become a common boredom relief.
Sidenote:
I made a wonderful play list for work on Thursday. The last song was "I'm the man who loves you" by Wilco. Now it is Mogwai, "I know what you are..."

For some reason, I just remembered that in early December, a mentor of mine said, You are the budding Joyce Carol Oates of your time. I said Thanks. Quickly I left the room. As soon as I entered the hallway, I wanted to shout back, No, I'm not! But I didn't. Luckily.

However my brain decided to recall that interaction, I'm unsure. But what I am sure of is how weird things tend to happen to me. And how all I can say in return is Thanks. Granted, it is a polite way to follow comments, particularly flattering or complimentary ones, often times my Thanks leaves me feeling like an asshole. Almost as if I were replying with I know.

Kind of like if someone were to say, Congratulations on life! and I would respond with, I know.

It's weird, these idiosyncrasies we fall into.