Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday: Life

My cohort Bethany contacted me this morning to say that MSq had been de-commissioned last night, that Bob was thrown out of the meeting because he called the head of student organizations a Nazi dictator. See, his actions are entirely him. That put a smile on my face; fighting like the tough bird he is (and adding to my favorite Bob moments of all time). **Aside: Nothing can top him telling a student in front of the class: It's student's like you that make me want to hang myself.**

What saddens me about this potential loss is complex. The tiers start with Mitchell and cascade down to the state of the liberal arts mindset of today. MSq was the last tangible thriving bit of Mitchell on campus. It was the longest standing student organization and a nationally recognized publication. It is potentially heartbreaking for Bob, for Cass, and the countless published/unpublished. And for the lost eighteen year old who was somehow picked out by John Mitchell to be saved by this literary publication, this would be a travesty.

Here's to hoping the English dept. can be creative with fund allocation.