Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday, Living (in Minnesota)

The spring thaw is upon us. It feels incredible and new and fresh. And is entirely what I need at this exact moment in time.

I started to think about living in Minnesota. This state is so deeply a part of me, from the change in seasons I anticipate, to my Norwegian heritage I too adore. Because I've lived here my whole life, I started to question if there are places and things I have not experienced out of routine. Thus began my Minnesota bucket list: Things I want to do-see-hear-witness-enjoy before the end of the summer. This also includes a bit of Wisconsin when necessary.

For some reason I feel like I'm currently seeing the city in a whole new light. While driving home yesterday evening I looked at the buildings I've looked at since I was a kid. Stores and houses between 28th/Park and Hennepin/Lake. And the skyline. And when I got out of my car, I smelled the air. It smelled entirely of Minnesota air. No better way to describe it.

Naturally my thoughts progressed to friends, to the people I see on a daily basis and have for so long. I am a terribly lucky human being. Perhaps I have gotten sentimental. Sure. But honestly. I know some incredible people who do equally incredible things. My friend Mark and I had a great conversation about places last night, about life and what people do. He is a shining example of a talented lively person I'm entirely fortunate to know. Through the course of our chatter I realized that his insight was entirely true, albeit a bit dark given his nature. It is nice hearing opinions of those you care about.

I'm ready to take on Spring. Ready to take in Minnesota and the people I've known and have yet to know. It's going to be bright.