Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday: cutting it close (life)

Well this is a relief.

Forty minutes before the day ends - just enough time to throw together a worthless entry to fill the daily post void when really I should be sleeping.

Daily highlights:
[From Harper's Weekly Review]
During a hearing on energy-efficiency standards for appliances, Senator Rand Paul (R., Ky.) accused a Department of Energy official of oppression: “Frankly, my toilets don’t work in my house,” he said. “And I blame you and people like you who want to tell me what I can install in my house, what I can do.” The official, Kathleen Hogan, the deputy assistant secretary for energy efficiency, replied, “I can help you find a toilet that works."
and
Newly unearthed photos show Eva Braun in bikinis, practicing yoga, and in blackface, impersonating Jewish actor Al Jolson impersonating a black man.

That's really something.

Tonight I went to the Convention Grill with Mark and I ate a bacon-swiss-mushroom-fried onion-burger with a chocolate malt and french fries. I told him about the dream I had where my sister was dating Pete Yorn and I woke up legitimately upset. He looked concerned. And followed it up with a preposterous statement that Pete Yorn is married to Madonna's sister-in-law, which I quickly refuted. This turned out much like our debate at his show a few years ago where he insisted that The Passenger was on Iggy Pop's The Idiot, when clearly it was on Lust for Life. We argued intensely for a while. I was right and I think he is still a bit sore from that loss. I was also right in disproving his statement about Madonna and Pete Yorn. We left shortly after and I insisted on splitting the bill after he had already made it a point of buying me dinner.

Why am I unable to let people take me out to dinner? Some how have a tendency to screw up nice gestures. Perhaps I should work on that.

I came home around nine. My thoughts quickly dissipated. I made scotcheroos for the 15th work potluck of this month and wondered if there is or ever would be a category in the State Fair for bars. They are, after all, a staple Minnesotan dessert/potluck item. Maybe I should write a letter to the baking gods and make a suggestion or two.