Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday: livin the dream

Friday, indeed. Crawling along, potentially the longest, most tedious Friday I can recall in recent history. My boss even set up an hour long training session because of the inactivity. And in it I almost fell asleep, from boredom and time moving far too slow.

In the midst of all of this came...

Rom-Coms from the ninety's.

This morning I started to crave films such as You've Got Mail and She's the One. It is so strange to me when entirely irrelevant and more-or-less unappealing things are suddenly injected into my life and are in some way made desirable. Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to viewing Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks banter back and forth in witty dialogue whilst flirting with each other and disaster in my near future. Sounds like a splendid time.

And then I started thinking about the film His Girl Friday. One of my all time favorites. For a moment in time I was [ever so fondly] referred to as His Girl Friday by one of my dearest. Does it mean something, or anything, that I take deep pleasure in being of assistance to others? There is a worth-contingency that rests on knowing others rely on and count on me for anyandeverythingtheycouldneed [especially regarding organizational competency, planning, baking, cooking, editing, the absurd, film, writing, music, the obscure, laughing] at any given time. I'll most likely drop everything.

Reliability sometimes comes with a fantastic nickname and if you're lucky, an even better film reference. Consider why it is you find joy in being available for others. Perhaps this gives you a sense of worth. Whatever it is, ensure that self-preservation is accounted for, and if it is, keep on keepin on.