Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday: Life

Did you know that I hum sweet few second melodies in the solitary company of my cube? Or when I'm in my kitchen. Or in my car. At the grocery store. Occasionally I'll let out a whistle too. And on rare instances I'll click my tongue three times.

This self awareness seemingly came about when I found myself laughing aloud. This was last night and I was alone. Downstairs I could hear my landlord being crazy and pounding on things as he continues to "renovate" and work on "cleaning out the thirty years life has compiled" from his place. He's a hoarder.

I sat at my kitchen table watching Parks & Recreation and caught myself laughing loudly and genuinely. Milk almost projected from my mouth from the spontaneity of the laughter. Never before had I noticed myself doing anything like this alone. It was as if experiencing pure joy for the first time.

And then I stopped. I realized at this moment that I can exist alone. That I am content spending evenings only in the company of myself, regardless of what I do.

You will find that your interactions with others are in turn more sincere; that you are genuinely excited to talk to people and find a happiness in understanding their joy. Savor this. Some people will recognize this, and some won't - it doesn't matter either way. It is in the intention and simple recognitions that make days all the sweeter.